- sharing food together is an important part of community building, and an enjoyable and essential feature of being together on the land.
this is the first bed to have its edge put on…. its the heart in the north, element air colour white… in hopi medecine wheel. tradition. i use this system as i resonate strongly with these interpretations of the directions. at the moment there are just a few very sad slug eaten climbing beans, some nasturtiums, white clover, and white mallow planted in it.more to come !!!
- 3 lovely french volunteers came to help yesterday, they managed to complete the paths and start on creating woven hazel fencing around the shapes.they started with the heart in the north, air element ,colour white.
- and made one entrance arch to support the honeysuckle.
i started planting this garden up last summer as soon as i was over the shingles , which i got on the day of completion of buying the land, 18th june 2015 just before the solstice!!! it was in my right arm and shoulder and meant i couldn;t do anything for the first 6 weeks of having the land !!!! enforced observation !!!the shapes just evolved organically, i didn”t have an intentional design as was just focused on getting things going as fast as possible.
- I started to plant up today 29/06/16.
- this is the heart in the east, so far it has elecampane , surrounded by calendula.(marigolds)
- At last i started my new mandala garden after a 25 year gap. since the glastonbury permaculture area days….. on our own “first base”, which myself and four of my five children bought last june 2015.after many years of envisioning it finally manifested within 6 miles of where we live .
- On the 1st year , anniversary 14/04/16 of seeing the land a group of polish landscape architecture students came to help begin the new mandala garden.
- we have since had a couple of days with a few volunteers to get the mandala into shape,
- The actual design is developing differently on the land from the drawing i did . As with the first mandala i have based it on the directions of the medecine wheel, of native american hopi tradition with
- north being the direction of the air element, colour white.
- south ..element water.. colour red.
- west element earth colour black.
- east ..element fire colour yellow.
- The directions in between relate to the shields of the grandmothers circle .
- north east ….medecine woman
- south east …midwife
- south west..shaman
- north west..death
- and today at the end of june i have started to plant it up.!!
i have just read a blog about glastonbury’s secret garden the permaculture area, i was shocked to see that whoever wrote it said that it was designed by mike feingold..it was not… myself and my partner at the time were the main designers and co-ordinators, mike along with many other people worked with us… he ended up taking over after i was ousted in 2002 , by the green futures fields co-ordinators putting their friends into my role. anyone wanting to know the full story please have a look on my website where the glastonbury story is featured.www.baseecoarts.co.uk
the image is the design i did for the mandala garden i created within the permaculture area, which was just one corner of a field, in the green futures field. The PC area was the first permanent area that michael eavis gave permission for on the festival site.Many people from different permaculture groups came and contributed their time and energy to the area, and it was a great opportunity to share ideas and skills .